Thursday, July 9, 2009

Here Comes the Sun

I’m sitting on a flight and staring out the window in awe. I’m flying over the Atlantic, clouds are below, and I can see the pink horizon to the west.

How does the sun know when to rise and set on its own? Does he have an alarm clock? Does Mother Nature whisper in his ear each morning? Does he slowly seep into sleep mode as the yawns begin?

I am a creature of habit. Just like the sun. My wise friend Rebekah insists that it takes 28 days to develop a habit. And you know what, I think she’s right. Which then makes the breaking a bad habit so much more difficult.

What if…

…I could choose the habits I wanted and quickly break my bad ones?

Would it take the challenge out of life? Would those accomplishments mean as much, or would the world just be a happier place?

I know this blog is all about fantasizing the endless possibilities, but as I stare outside my window watching the night sky envelop the pink horizon, I choose not to think about the what ifs.

Sure, I’d like to develop a daily workout routine, quit biting my nails when stressed, and clean up my sailor mouth moments, but if I could snap my fingers and wipe my slate clean, would I feel pride? Would I feel that extra sense of self worth and know that I’ve persevered? I have the feeling the answer would be no. And taking that emotion changes human nature. We’d lose our sense of commitment and stop fighting for what we believe. And that’s something I’m not willing to give up.

As the sun take its final blinks before falling into a slumber, I dedicate this post to the readers. May your perseverance remain strong to fight the bad habits and keep to good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment