Thursday, July 2, 2009

When Pigs Fly

What if...

Two simple words with infinite possibilities. In this finite world, the notion of infinity is quite incomprehensible, at least for me.

Teachers at Vicksburg High School - or earlier - taught me that a sideways number 8 = infinity. (Though it never did make sense to me why math problems can have an answer of infinity. I mean come on - the whole purpose of math in my book is to find a finite solution. Another post, another time...). But what does it really mean?

I'd say it's like the song, you know the one by the famous Lamb Chop and his friends - the most annoying song on any roadtrip that just drives you absolutely bonkers - but even that ends after 1 minute and 42 seconds.

As a kid, I was taught to dream big - to dream the impossible dream. But how do I reach the impossible? There's not exactly a Reaching the Impossible Dream for Dummies book. And infinity is impossible to reach, at least for me...

We all know the famous saying "that will happen when pigs fly." Did any of you see Charlotte's Webb? Wilbur might have had a friend named Charlotte, but he definitely didn't have wings!!! I can dream all day long that pigs can fly, but in the end, when I drive 1 hour to Virginia farmland and peek into a stable, I can guarantee the pigs will be wingless.

Pigs flying seems impossible, but let's think outside the box. What if they really could fly? So, don't be the doubting crows from Dumbo, but the flying elephant's true friend Timothy Q. Mouse and dream the impossible dream...

As I've never cared much about pigs flying, I'll leave you to ponder the question... "What if pigs could fly?"

1 comment:

  1. love the idea for this blog! excited to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete